Stars, Daisies and Butterflies
These are a few of my favorite things...

Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Like most girls, I can easily kill a half hour wandering the last three aisles at my local CVS, perusing new beauty products (and sniffing the new shampoo and body wash scents when no one is looking). The best part of drugstore shopping is all of the great deals you can strike, especially if you have coupons or a discount card. Combine that with the fact that there are some pretty amazing products out there for less than ten bucks a pop, and you have beauty shopping nirvana. Here are some of my favorite wallet-friendly drugstore beauty buys, all for less than a ten spot:

1. Suave Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner, Almond and Shea Butter ($3.49 each). I always struggle with moisturizing hair products - my hair is very dry, but also very fine, and most products weigh my hair down. Enter this wonder duo, which is Suave's version of Aveda Dry Remedy. Presto! I have soft, shiny hair for seven bucks total. Who knew?!

2. Revlon Ped-Expert Pedicure Kit ($9.99). This is the closest you can possibly get to salon-soft feet at home! I'll even venture that my feet are softer when I use this than they are after a trip to my local nail salon. You get a set of nail clippers, a little pink nail file that I promptly stashed in my purse, and a pink "ped egg" that removes callouses and rough skin with the textured side, then files for extra smoothness on the flip side. All of the gross dead skin lands inside the device, so you can open it up and dump everything without having to deal with the mess. I love high heels, and therefore get some pretty tough callouses on my feet - this whisked them away in literally minutes. My feet are now happy feet.

3. St. Ives Apricot Scrub, Invigorating ($4.29). I been using St. Ives scrub since I was a teenager. My skin was much different then - oily and very prone to breakouts - but regardless of how my face is behaving, this scrub does the job without irritating. It's just "scrubby" enough, and I find I don't need to follow up with a cleanser afterward. It leaves my skin refreshed, and never tight or dry.

4. CoverGirl Wetslicks Fruit Spritzers Lip Gloss ($5.49). I am a total lip gloss addict. I won't even begin to calculate how much I've spent over the years searching for the perfect one - shiny but not sparkly, stays put but isn't sticky, and is just the right shade of pink for my lips. This gloss totally fits the bill, for much less than all of the tubes I've plunked money down for at Sephora. I'm especially partial to the Watermelon shade, which is just a few shades pinker than my natural lip color.

5. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser ($7.99). This favorite of my dermatologist seems to work for everyone. For my combination dry/oily skin, it cleans without stripping, and since it is dye and fragrance-free, it doesn't irritate me at all. A friend of mine with dry skin also swears by it.

6. Bonne Bell Lip Smacker ($1.99). Maybe you haven't used this since grade school, but I dare you to try the Dr. Pepper flavor and tell me you don't have the perfect pinky-red lips...that also happen to taste delicious. The vanilla is also amazing. Tuck one in your pocket when you don't feel like carrying a purse.

7. Sally Hansen Color Quick Nail Color Pen ($6). For some reason, I assumed all nail polish pens were cheap - the type of polish that starts chipping a few hours after you apply it. I tried this on a whim, and I am totally impressed. It's a quick-dry formula, and the polish goes on evenly without the pen getting messy. It lasts a few days before signs of chipping set in, which isn't bad in my book. And the nude shade is fantastic for short, neatly-manicured nails.

8. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes Refill Pack ($7.99). These are the answer to a clean face when you don't have the time and/or energy to break out the soap and water. I like this brand in particular because it's strong enough to remove stubborn mascara, but gentle enough that my face isn't stinging afterward. I buy the refill pack (which is resealable) instead of the plastic case - more portable and less expensive.

9. Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets ($5.99). These are perfect for quick T-zone touchups. Better than powder, because they remove the oil without adding a cakey layer of makeup. I keep a pack in my purse, in my desk, and even one in my car.

10. CoverGirl Clean Oil Control Liquid Foundation ($6.99). This is a great foundation for those of us who want coverage, but not so much that we look like we piled the makeup on with a spatula. There's not much of a fragrance, which is a major plus over the old formula. And I do notice my T-zone is less oily when I use it. I love the pressed powder in this line as well, but that would make this a list of eleven, which would just drive me nuts. :-P

Posted by April at 6:00 AM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment